BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Time to get me some suped up crutches....


Me and my crutches are going to be spending some serious quality time together for the next 4 weeks. Oh yeah! I went to the doctor today and found out I tore all of my lateral ligaments. Awesome. No surgery for now just immobilization. I can't put any weight on my right foot which means no walking. However, I can drive if I use my left foot for the brake so that is good.

 Here is what the MRI results said:

-Subchondral fracture of the lateral talar dome
-Ruptured anterior talofibular ligament
-Sprained posterior anterior talofibular ligament
-Sprained calcancofibular ligament
-Sprain with partial thickness tearing of the deltoid ligamentous complex
-Small tibiotalar joint effusion



 The most difficult thing is still not being able to walk with Macie. I don't know why but church is the most emotionally exhausting thing I do all week. Last Sunday my friend usually takes Macie but she was really tired and screaming so Brian took her to class while he taught. I went to go get her with my friend but Macie screamed unless I was holding her. We kept stopping in the hall so I could hold her and it became clear that we were not going to make it into Sunday school. So I had my friend take Macie to the car and put her in her car seat so she could go to sleep. I usually drive her around to get her to sleep but I couldn't do that either. She screamed until she finally gave up and went to sleep. I don't know why but I just lost it and cried until church got out an hour later. It is so hard not being able to hold Macie or drive or anything else and relying so much on other people to help me out. Honestly I am not sure I have ever done anything so difficult in my life. I tore my ACL as teenager and I thought that was hard but I did not have 4 kids and a home to worry about like I do now. My knees hurt from crawling and my left hip is so painful from all the hopping around I have been doing. My body aches all over and I am so tired. I do feel myself getting stronger but in general my body just hurts!

It is remarkable how at peace I am with the situation despite the difficulty. I obsess and replay situations in life over and over in my head but my mind has been at peace about it which is a huge blessing for me. Speaking of blessings...the night of my injury Brian and a friend gave me a blessing. In the blessing Brian felt impressed to say to my body to be still. I remember thinking why would he say that? I need my body to move and heal (in my head I am thinking about all the cells in the body I used to be able to name heading for my ankle). So I thought it was weird but really I needed my ankle to be still so the little piece that was fractured would stay intact. If it came off the main bone it could cause a lot of problems. I think I remember something about a full recovery too so that is good. :)

I also have some seriously amazing friends. I am so humbled by everyone's generosity the last 2 weeks. I have had meals, rides, play dates, shoulders to cry on, texts, my car cleaned, chocolate, my kids picked up to/from school everyday, treats, and even paper goods! I know I would not have been able to survive the last 2 weeks if I didn't have such awesome friends.

Just one of my amazing friends bringing me paper goods tonight so I don't have to do dishes!

2 comments:

CKW said...

I have seen these for people who can't put weight on their foot and can't rely on crutches all the time: http://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Walker-Ankle-Crutch-Scooter/dp/B000NSSVYG
Basically, you kneel on it with the bad leg and use the other one to propel yourself around. You might even be able to let macie ride around on it with you.
(I'm only including this link to show you what I mean. I bet your doctor could write an order for you for one and insurance would cover a rental?)My mom had a temporary one when she broke her heel. It kind of wears out your other leg, but it definitely beats crutches.
So sorry. This sort of thing is one of my worries. It's hard to be a mom and be incapacitated.I'm glad you are surrounded by good friends.

Shelley Eggett said...

What a brilliant friend to bring paper goods. Once again, I'm so sorry!