Alright, since Jami is laying in a hospital bed I will take the lead here and update our friends and family on the progress of our baby. This is partly an update for you all and partly a journal of events, details etc. for Jami and I. If you get bored with the details, well - skip them. :)
Last night I painted Jami's nails and was very pleased with the finished product. My first time ever.
Jami got up at 5:30 AM to be at the Hospital at 6:30 AM (Well, closer to 7 since she had to shower, do her hair etc. before hand.)
I stayed home with the kids and got Brin off to school and Matt and Addi ready. Thankfully we had a sane, calm morning (not always the case) and the kids were little angels. After we got all packed up, I brought Addi and Matt to the hospital to see Jami. Matt was soooo excited! He kept saying "I can't believe it, I can't believe we are going to have a baby!" Since we found out it was a girl, he has been disappointed and really wanted a brother, but I think he's excited regardless.
After a few minutes of seeing Jami, Addi was done and said "go out, Mommy's room" a few times. She did think it was cool that she got to go "pee-pee on Mommy's potty." Three more stickers on her potty chart and we are going to the pet store to see the "Tigers and snakes and spiders." She (and I) are both excited!
They started the induction with the gel at about 8 AM and Jami was in a ton of pain by about 9:45-10 AM so I ran the kids back to the baby sitters (thank you our dear Colorado friends - you are life savers). On the way there, Matt asked if the baby was here yet, and I said no, she was still in Mommy's tummy and Mommy had to push the baby down and out of a tube. He said "You mean her vagina?" I said, yes, the baby comes out of her vagina. We are pretty open with our kids and started at a young age using the proper names of ALL body parts (including those that our society and church has unintentionally created shame around. The other day we were in the back yard finishing up a new roof on our shed and Addi, who is two, said pointing to Matt and I "Two boy, have penis's. Me, Mommy, Brin have gina's."
Quick disclosure here: Jami wouldn't normally write publicly about this stuff (using the proper names of our body parts) and is probably embarrassed that I am. I just think we (our families, church, society etc.) have been so hush, hush about certain things, particularly as they relate to our bodies (including using the proper terms), sexuality and other sacred, sensitive topics. As a result they go un-talked about with children and shame is created around these topics. Children and teenagers want to learn and will learn about these things, the question is - who will they learn it from?
If parents aren't comfortable taking about these things and don't take a proactive role, their friends, the media, the world etc. will most definitely teach our children. Who do you want to teach your children about some of the most sacred, sensitive and important things in life? For our family, Jami and I have decided we will create an open, safe, place in our home where our children can ask questions and we can talk about anything and everything. I believe this all starts with open communication at a young age. So when you hear our two year old using words like vagina and penis, you'll know why.
So if you can't tell - there isn't much progress here. Jami got her epidural at 11 AM is currently dilated to a two so it looks like we will be a little while. I just ordered a nice, big lunch and am excited about the relatively low prices. I eat out daily at nice restaurants and am used to overpriced food. I was excited to see my salmon I ordered cost less than the bowl of mixed berries I usually get at the Palm in downtown Denver.
Jami is a little depressed that she is only dilated to a 2. The Dr. just broke her water (12:29 PM) so we'll see what happens over the next few hours. They will likely start the pitocin at 1 PM since her contractions are "wimpy."
0 comments:
Post a Comment