BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Consumed

I have been managing our properties for the last 5+ years. Last year I was managing 28 units. We are down to 24 units which is nice but I am ready for my life back. I just managed 10 units for several years which was not bad but then we took over management from a couple different partners adding another 12 units. Then last year we bought another 4-plex adding even more to my plate. 

I am tired of the petty complaints (my mailbox won't shut, I need new fridge shelves because I broke the old ones, I don't get along with my neighbor) and the major emergencies (usually water damage) suck all my emotional energy. 

Tonight we had a pipe burst and I had to coordinate with the restoration company,  plumbers, annoyed and unrealistic tenants, etc. It was terrible and my brain hurts so bad. 

We are going to hire a management company but I have to decide who is best and then do the 10 hours of paperwork associated with turning over the units. I don't want to make a poor choice. 

On the one hand I would love to turn over all the properties tomorrow and never look back and then in kind of a sick way they are like my babies and I don't want to give them to someone else. I want to continue to see them upgraded and get better processes and procedures in place. Plus we get a management fee for our work. It seems like a lot but when you account for my time it's hardly worth it. 

I know it's right to hire a manager. I need to be emotionally and mentally and physically present for my kids. Tonight Macie went pee pee on the potty for the first time and as we were celebrating I got a call from the plumber I had to take. I was not fully there for her in her small moment of success. 

So who cares about the management fee or if we have a little less cash flow at the end of the year...my kids need me. And I need my sanity. 


0 comments: